Sunday, July 25, 2010

Mountain biking in Winter Park is awesome!

Though I was harboring some small belief that I would be able to race Nationals, it became clear when I pre-rode the course that it was a very bad idea. Rather than thinking about how fast I could hit a turn, or what was coming up next, I thought every pedal stroke, "Did that hurt? What about this? Should I turn my toes in? Out? Wait, was that a twinge of pain? Oh, crap. It was!" Plus, my upper end fitness was definitely gone, so I finally decided not to race and, I have to say, that decision came as relief. I could stop weighing the pros and cons. So, instead, I went in to support mode and ran around the course taking pictures of Alexis during her Cat 1 Juniors 15-16 race which she took 3rd in! (And though, I wasn't there to see it, Dot took 5th in her singlespeed race!) Here's a pic of us ladies next to the course.

And for the next couple days I hit up the trails in Winter Park with my dad and friend Steve, pretty pleased that my leg was holding up okay, even if my fitness was lagging. Here's some pics from the rides we did.



My dad and Steve charging:


A very important member of my support crew . . . my mom!

We also did some cool stuff off the bike. One evening we drove into Rocky Mountain National Park to see the moose and elk, and to check out the views from 12,000 feet. Got some great pics.



What road biking at 12,000 feet looks like:
And Saturday night we celebrated at the Devil's Thumb Ranch.

But we saved the best for Sunday. Starting at the base of Winter Park Resort, my dad and I rode up the left side and to the top on super fun singletrack and got to descend on the downhill trails on the front side of the mountain!

Here's the YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqMW6PEmWCk

And some pics.





I was so happy to be back on the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment